We are delighted to be able to offer Penninghame House as a venue for hire. The flexibility of Penninghame House allows us to tailor our facilities to suit many different events. Whether it is our cooking school, the beautifully restored Victorian mansion house or magical grounds we can work with event organisers to ensure that each event is a success.
We are happy to discuss individual requirements and give a quotation or offer viewing of the facilities by
Penninghame House is a Victorian Mansion house surrounded by the beautiful nature of Galloway in South West Scotland. Set in it’s own grounds of around 120 acres, consisting of parkland, woodland and a large walled garden. The River Cree runs past the house, adding to the enchanting beauty of the natural surroundings and the comfort, peace and tranquility of the Estate. Entering Penninghame has often been described as entering a magical kingdom. Close to Penninghame are the Galloway Hills and the Galloway Forest Park, great places for walking, cycling and particularly useful for Team Building courses. The Galloway Forest Park offers spectacular views and a diversity of dramatic scenery. Three hundred square miles of wild beauty are waiting to be explored, here, in Britain’s largest forest park. Due to its remoteness, the area in and around the Galloway Forest Park has been awarded the status of being one of only four “Dark Sky Parks” in the western world.
A short drive from Penninghame, will bring you to Scotland’s National Book Town, Wigtown, where you can browse the many second-hand bookshops.
We are also close to a choice of beaches, golf courses, and outdoor activity centres.
HISTORY OF PENNINGHAME HOUSE
The imposing mansion house was built in 1869 with the office building and Gustavian dining room being much older, probably around 1700. That section of the building would have been the original main house.
Penninghame House was originally part of the large estate of Penninghame which encompassed many hundreds of acres and local farms. The church at Challoch, three miles down the road would have been the chapel to the large estate. Gradually over the years the estate dwindled to the current size of around 120 acres.
The house was used as a hospital during the World War 1 after which it returned to use as a private home but in the early 1950’s the Prison Service bought Penninghame and operated an open prison in it until 2000.
The current owners, the Butler family, purchased Penninghame in 2000 and undertook a five year programme of renovating the main house and estate buildings to the standard they are now.
The house remains the Scottish home of the Butler’s when they are in the country.